closet addict


it's not what you own, it's how you own it

My closet.  I've spent years working on it, trying to eek out every square inch, every little nook to store my wardrobe.  Over the last year, I've narrowed down my clothes, along with established a clear color scheme and aesthetic.  I love comfort and sporty style.  Everything has the vibe of trying, but not too hard.  All pieces play well with each other, co-ordinating and co-opperating to make effortless and numerous outfits.  I believe your closet should work for you, both the clothes in it and the methods of storing them.  

I've learned that if I can't see it, I don't wear it.  I am so visual and need to have all options easily ready.  Picking out an outfit is how I start any successful day.  I have a three-step getting ready process: one, pick out all clothes; two, all accessories; three, apply makeup.  Step one is simplified by having all my choices visible.  ALL of my in-season clothes are on display inside my closet, from tops to bottoms, and tucked in accessible drawers are under-pinings.  

Fitting all my clothes into a small closet without shoving them in has taken much planning and adjusting, but I have finally figured out what works best for me.  I thought I'd share, to get your ideas flowing for your own closet.  Like I said, your closet should work for you.  This is the perfect set up for me- but you will need to adjust accordingly to your lifestyle, closet and clothes.


1. Hang On

(a) Have matching hangers.  You may think this is a waste of money if you already own plenty of hangers, but let me tell you, this is the one thing that will immediately improve your whole closet.  I use velvet hangers for all my tops, and wood hangers for all my jackets and button-ups.
(b) Velvet hangers.  They are thin, help keep clothes from slipping off, and look clean.  If you must replace all your hangers, these are the best option- although they can be much more expensive than their plastic cousins (50c each compared to 10c), in the long run they will last.  If you think about it, you use hangers every day.  Might as well have the best.  Also, I own many slippery and wide-necked tee shirts and these grip them well. 
(c) Hang whatever you want.  Personally, I own tons of t-shirts.  I like to hang them, because they are easier to browse and select, and honestly if I didn't I wouldn't have much to hang.  If you'd rather fold (or even better, roll) them instead, that's fine.  Do what works for you and the space you have.

(I got my velvet hangers at Big Lots 10/$5, along with 20% off that- I had a coupon.) 

2. Roll With It 

(a) It's quick.  Rolling is faster than folding.
(b) Easier to pull out bottom item without mussing up all the other items.
(c) Less wrinkles.  Rolling prevents wrinkles, and is great for if you travel: just toss the rolled up garments into your bag and go!
(d) Works for sweaters, tee shirts, pants, and shorts.

(I put the rolled clothes into a sweater organizer.  This one (the best and cheapest for it's quality that I've seen) is from Bed Bath and Beyond, $15- but I paid $10 (check your mail/newspaper for coupons!  they come often and save you $$))

3. Go Vertical

(a) Way easier to pull out, as nothing is on the bottom.
(b) Easy to see.  Nothing gets buried.
(c) Just looks cool. (let's be honest: stacking is boring)

4. Dump Bucket
(a) Have a designated place to drop your uniform after work.  I'll be honest: I can't be bothered to fold or hang my uni after ripping it off straight after getting home.
(b) Or you could use it as a home for half-worn shirts.  Some days I just get dressed to run to the store- whatever I wore is not dirty, but I usually don't want to hang it up.  I usually have a shirt that I've worn for just a few hours chilling out waiting for a similar toss-on then take-off (go ahead, judge me.  I hate doing laundry any more often than I must.)
(c) Or even just have a home for your current pair of pjs/lounge clothes.

(I got this bucket for $1 at the Dollar Tree)

5. Sock It
(a) Per the KonMari method, I fold my socks.  It keeps them from stretching out and they are easier to see.
(b) Color/pattern code.  I own a lot of goofy socks.  Aside from my mandatory black work socks, my personal collection is fun.  I keep them easily accessible and visible in a cute Ikea organizer.

6. Light and Dark
I have two separate hampers: one for darks, one for lights.  I've been doing my own laundry since I was 10, and until recently I had just tossed all my clothes in the same hamper, waited for it to fill up, then did two separate loads.  This was a big endeavor so when the time would roll around I'd skirt it for as long as possible.  BUT since I've split up my clothes right away, I've done more laundry more often.  When my uniform (which is all black) needs washing, I throw in the rest of my darks as well.  Before I would have had to sort out the lights, and well, I'm all about efficiency.  I own very little light-colored clothing, so I put towels in my light hamper.  This little trick has saved me time, and water: less loads means less waste.

These tips have helped me so much to take advantage of my closet.  Getting dressed, putting away clothes and planning outfits is incredibly easy with this set up.

Samantha

0 comments:

Post a Comment