make up essentials

I don't spend long on makeup.  I don't spend much on makeup.  It's a beautiful thing, because I'm all about saving time and money wherever I can.  So, allow me to save you time and money- I've researched and bought all the duds, winners and ripoffs so you don't have to.  Here's what years of trial and error have taught me:

the five product trifecta
everything you need for a casual, simple look


NYX Concealer Stick, $5
it's actually waterproof (not just a crazy claim), and the lightest shade is actually paler than my skin, which is prefect for highlighting, but is still a good shade to work as concealer. it has a very waxy, crayon-y feel, and products stick well to it.  also, I use it very regularly and haven't needed to replace it, even though I've had it for two years.

uses:
-highlight inner corner of eye
-cover blemishes (I add a layer of liquid concealer over for extra coverage)
-swipe under brow bone for an instant lift
-use in waterline to brighten
-dab a bit on your cupids bow (gives you a cute pout)


ELF Perfect Blend Concealer, $1-$2
I can't tell you how many concealers I've purchased. too many.  this does the trick, is crazy cheap, and works just as well as any I've tried for a fraction of the cost. smells like fruit loops. doesn't really have much staying power, but teamed up with the NYX concealer stick, it lasts long enough.



Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Khol Eyeliner, $4

so creamy, and pigmented.  total dupe for the urban decay 24/7 eyeliner.  only annoying thing is it's a pain to sharpen, so don't expect crisp lines, but it makes a killer smoky eye, and lines the waterline in one go.


Maybelline The Colossal Mascara, $6

let's be honest, most days I just swipe on mascara and go.  it seriously makes a difference and takes two seconds.  I like this formula, totally does the trick.  ps I always get the waterproof type, my eyes must water a ton or something because I can't keep regular mascara on for even an hour


Wet and Wild Color Icon Brow and Eyeliner, $1

I have a weird brow trick.  no clue how I even came up with it (I think it had something to do with the annoyance of coloring in brows. always looks so fake) but it seriously does the job flawlessly.  you'll need an old, clean mascara wand and a brow pencil a bit darker than your brows.  basically, you rub the wand on the brow pencil, and swipe the wand over your eyebrows.  it deposits a believable amount of color and fills in gaps, all while smoothing down brow hairs.  give it a try!

results

the everyday look
the cool kid look
two looks one face*


*not recommended ;)

So there you go.  For less than $20**, a look that's cute and actually wearable.  Took me exactly 5 minutes to do the makeup shown- and take these lovely selfies (ha)

**let's be real: I used coupons on all the products and surfed sales.  I actually spent around $11 after savings: makeup companies have huge markups and offer coupons regularly, and drugstores run specials.  shop smart, kids

Samantha





0 comments:

Post a Comment