the rules of creativity

Creativity loves rules.

This sounds completely ridiculous, as we are constantly told to "think outside the box" and "the only rule is that there are no rules," when it comes to art and fashion.

But the truth is, rules help us to have direction and guidelines.  Not everyone can pull masterpieces out of thin air.

When re-launching the blog, Brittany and I decided to use the classy color pallet of black, white, and shades of grey.  I had mixed feelings about this scheme. I adore the look of black and white, but I worried that it would be hard to capture what I wanted without color.

But what seemed like a daunting challenge has quickly become my absolute favorite part of blogging.  To get an appealing balance of light and dark in the photos, along with more focus placed on shapes, I have to thoughtfully consider each and every capture.  This has pushed me as a creator more than having no boundries would ever have done.

This isn't the first time rules have aided my creative process: every project of mine that I consider enjoyable and a success had rules. Whether I was limited solely to trash as materials, or I had a short period of time to complete, it didn't matter.  The one thing in common was the fact they all had rules.

So here's my piece of advice for you: the next time you are struggling, whether with a project, essay, artwork or any other creative endevor, make up some rules.  It might seem silly at the time, but it will force you to think creatively.  Once you get the ideas flowing, you can remove whatever sanctions you placed, or keep them there to continue forcing yourself to think.

Try it.

Samantha








0 comments:

Post a Comment